Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bursting

Now that we have decided to adopt, I just want to tell the world!!! I feel like I'm pregnant and I just want to tell everyone because this is just such an exciting thing for me. But we agreed together to wait a bit because from the time we started this, to the time we'll actually bring our child home is a long time - usually longer than the average pregnancy. And I would rather wait until we get our referral to tell everyone. I just wish I had someone else to talk about this to. Ian's more of a factual conversationalist and doesn't like to beat a dead horse...so bringing this up with him won't make him as giddy as I feel. Don't get me wrong, he is SOO excited, it's just...I don't know, not the same I guess. I really want to tell Ian's mom because his parents adopted from Ethiopia almost a year ago and they've gone through this whole process. I have so many questions and want to hear her opinion on things because I respect her so much. But at the same time, I don't really want to announce it to the world yet, because I know we will hit a lot of resistance. I know people will think we're crazy adopting a child from a strange land while we still have young children at home. Plus, it's expensive and right now we're not in the best financial situation - owning two houses with the market being as awful as it is. But our situation is 500 times better than so many people in other countries. We have been so blessed! It's embarrassing to me that we are living in such abundance, while others are happily living with so much less. And here I am, complaining about the price of gas, or my California house depreciating. I feel like bringing a child out of poverty and into my home is really just making a tiny tiny dent in the problems. But, hopefully, to that one child it will be the world. And hopefully everything will work out for the better.

No comments: