Monday, September 1, 2008

To Nurse or Not to Nurse?

Last night I talked to Ian about the possibility of nursing the baby. I am and have always been very pro-nursing for our three children. I very much feel that it is the best form of nourishment that our babies can receive. And luckily I've had 3 very good nursers. If our adopted child is young enough, I'd really like to try to nurse him/her. I'm just nervous about nursing a child - that is obviously not my biological child - in public. I know we'll get enough stares without actually nursing this baby. Ian had the idea that the baby will already be used to bottles, so if they do take to nursing, I can still feed them bottles in public, and then nurse when we are home. That made sense. Of course if we get twins or an older baby, this won't be an issue anyway. :)

This week I've actually been feeling slightly baby hungry. I don't know that it's baby hungry, or just feeling like there's a baby out there for us, without us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you nurse when you didn't deliver the babe?

Megan said...

You can get a prescription from a doctor to help you lactate, ...might be TMI for you. :)

Kelli said...

Very intersting... I never would have thought of that, it certainly could help build a bond between you & the baby.

Megan said...

Huh - I was wondering that too!

Sheila said...

Uh, this just makes me love you even more Megan! I had NO idea you could lactate with a prescription (very cool) and I think it would be an amazing thing for you and your little one.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Love said...

i found your blog while looking for more families adopting from africa. i'm so excited for you and your family, but this is the post that got me to de-lurk! =)

we are adopting from uganda and have a 2 month old right now. i am hoping that God's timing will match up with mine so that i can nurse our baby when we bring them home, too. thanks for bringing this up!

blessings....